Friday 17 May 2013

Is pop music killing the music industry or inspiring our outcast younger generation?

Music in the charts these days is primarily pop. I can empathise with the people who sigh and sigh and say “I don’t know what music is coming to! All this trash in the charts”.
However pop isn't all bad.
I frequently have arguments with my brother - a lover of rock music, when he argues that pop singers are talentless and just follow one another like sheep. I can understand where he is coming from - a lot of the latest pop songs are just the same endless beat being played over and over, however there are some exceptions. Some pop artists do actually write their own songs and the song coveys a view, meaning or emotion.
Some examples I can give you would be: Jessie J and Lady Gaga. Jessie J’s songs each hold a different emotion and are very influential to the teenage mind. ‘Be true to who you are’ these soothing lines can heal so many different youngsters, all feeling outcast and freakish for various reasons.
When all the fuss kicked off and Lady Gaga became famous, it seemed to be love or hate, like Marmite  and I will admit at first did not like her. She was pulling in millions for these ‘same old’ songs. But then ‘Born this way’ came out and changed my whole perspective of her. She was like Jessie J, another singing that wants equality. ‘Born this way’ also applies to a whole spectrum of teenagers, she even quotes: Whether life’s disabilities left you outcast, bullied or teased, rejoice and love yourself today cause’ baby you were born this way. No matter gay, straight or bi, lesbian transgendered life, I'm on the right track baby I was born to survive’.
Now, you can’t say this line isn't helping to boost teenagers self worth, confidence and esteem.
Lady Gaga

No comments:

Post a Comment