Thursday 9 May 2013

Is Suicide Ever The Answer?

This topic is quite raw and deep, and something many people have strong opinions on.
"Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem".
This is true. Once you are gone, you are gone...But what if life before you died was not worth living? I don't mean if you are suffering from a long term illness/terminal illness and want to end your life via euthanasia which is currently illegal in the UK, I mean those suffering with such severe mental health issues that life just doesn't seem an option any more.
I am not trying to promote suicide; quite the opposite. I believe there is always a solution, no matter how bad things seem at the time - whether you've been dumped, failed an exam, had a bad haircut or lost a loved one: time does heal your wounds.
Coming from personal experience as someone who has previously attempted suicide I have to admit it did seem an option, and almost glorifying at the time. It was my ticket out of this world, an end to all the pain. But now I am glad I stuck around because I have my entire life ahead of me so I may as well stick it out to see how it goes.
Suicide rates are higher in gay teenagers than straight teenagers, which is not surprising considering all that homosexual adolescents have to endure: coming out, homophobia, self acceptance, isolation.

I will say this: Things get better. It is cliché  but it is true. Things may seem unbearable now but in a few days, weeks, months or even years I promise you that your emotions will have shifted and you will see the world in a different, hopefully more positive light.


If you have been affected by any of the above or you or anyone you know is contemplating suicide, please visit: Samaritans
This page is also really helpful if you are feeling suicidal.

No comments:

Post a Comment