Tuesday 21 May 2013

David Burrowes MP: ‘I am a supporter of traditional marriage. Get over it!’

So, I got a reply from the homophobic bigot of an MP, David Burrowes. 

I was also contacted by a journalist for The Enfield Gazette, as David Burrowes in an MP for Enfield-Southgate, she wrote an article about my letter to him, his reply and my opinions on it, which was published in The Enfield Gazette.

When Sally Met Sally also published an article about David Burrowes' reply to my letter.

In my letter I stated that "Pro-marriage means you believe in marriage and want as many people as possible to participate in it; so how is excluding a whole group of people from the marital institution pro-marriage?"
Along with a lot of political waffle that didn't get to the point, he said "I am a supporter of traditional marriage. Get over it!"
Doesn't he realise what 'traditional' marriage means?
Women are slaves, if they're not virgins when married they can be beaten, fathers can sell their daughters for cows and goats, interracial relationships were illegal.
Does he support these archaic 18th century values?

Paraphrasing and playing on the LGBT charity Stonewall's famous 'Some people are gay, get over it' slogan seems to be rather childish. Couldn't he be more original?

He did not answer my question: "I would be extremely happy if you could explain to me how you believe you are not anti-gay".
Looking at his voting record, he seems to want to deny lesbian and gay people rights and does not think they should be protected against from homophobic hatred. As he voted against outlawing discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation in 2007 and to prevent lesbians from having access to fertility treatment in 2008. Then against outlawing incitement to homophobic hatred in 2009. He doesn't appear to have voted on the Equality Act 2010 (which consolidated and extended the various bits of legislation on discrimination). He voted against same-sex marriage in 2013.

Come on Burrowes, admit it, you just don't like the gays.


No comments:

Post a Comment