Saturday 8 June 2013

Self Harm

Self Harm is a precarious topic. No-one knows exactly why one self harms, for there are many reasons.
The most common are:
  • Relief of stress
  • Self punishment
  • To gain a feeling of control
  • To show externally the pain they feel internally
I self harmed for all the above reasons. I thought it was a good way of coping. It wasn't hurting anyone else, it didn't cause serious damage and it worked. However it scarred, I have scars. Am I proud of them? No.
Am I proud to have gotten through what I did? Yes.
Every scar has a story and a reason. The bad day, the break up, the day I hated myself, was stressed, depressed, felt alone, angry.
Please try not to self harm: it only resorts in long term harm and permanent scars. You don't want to be reminded of your bad times every time you look down at your arms.
Don't start cutting other areas of your body as a way of concealing the fact you are self harming. Just because no-one can see it, you are still doing it. Just because you feel pain, doesn't mean you deserve to. You are stronger, better and more beautiful than the demons of self harm. You are not alone, ever.

Tips for stopping self harming:
  • Instead of cutting use an elastic band to ping against your arm, this causes pain but does no long term damage
  • Hold ice cubes on your skin to create pain but no permanent damage
  • Listen to a sad or happy song, get your feelings out by singing or dancing
  • Write a diary or blog
  • Talk to someone


No comments:

Post a Comment