Wednesday 2 January 2013

My Experiences Of Homophobia At Secondary School

I came out as a lesbian when I started going out with my first girlfriend in October 2009 at secondary school, when I was in year 10. I had a negative reaction my sexuality being declared, in that people would ask me personal questions when I was in class, that they would not have asked me if I was straight.
There were some people in particular that would shout “Lesbian” after me as I walked home, and call me rude and offensive names.
One boy tried to push me off my bike on my way home from school but that was the only physical abuse I got for being out at school, the rest of it was emotional and psychological.
For example when we were getting changed for PE I would get dirty looks from the girls, because they were worried I was ‘perving on them’.
Comments would be carelessly thrown about, no-one thought about how it was affecting me and making me feel. None of the teachers were particularly helpful about the homophobia and I even overheard my English teacher say to another teacher “If she didn’t want to be bullied, she shouldn’t have come out”.
I was victimised by my friends as they made a fake Facebook account and tormented me on it and would not admit it was them, when I discovered they all hated me I told my tutor about what they had done and she believed I was making it up and stated “I’m sure they wouldn’t do that”.
Overall my experiences at secondary school were very negative and I feel that I was victimised because of my sexuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment